28 June 2009

Sweet Tooth

Within walking distance of each other, these two LES spots are my fav cupcake shops in the City thus far. Despite creating the same delectable sweet treats they are as different as can be with their ingredient choices.

SUGAR SWEET SUNSHINE (126 Rivington St, btwn Essex/Norfolk St.)

The more traditional of the two, you can get a divinely flavored cupcake for only $1.50. This little indulgence would satisfy any craving with its buttery cake and smooth icing. The cafe itself is super cute with sunk in chairs perfect for a relaxing moment - the idea is unpretentious with a retro 70s vibe.


Lemon cake with lemon buttercream

BABYCAKES (248 Broome St, btwn Orchard/Ludlow St.)

I never thought I would like something vegan this much. Surprised to say it, but this has to be my all time favorite cupcake - I think it's because I'm in love with their unique spelt wheat batter which gives the cake a flavor reminiscent of malt digestive cookies. The icing veers on the lighter, airier side which means I could eat these babies all day without feeling too guilty or sickly. These baked goodies are Refined Sugar Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Soy Free, and the list goes on to cater to every specific health need. It's on the pricier end at $3.25 each but they are worth it. I feel like the cat's meow whenever I carry these cupcakes home in their ridiculously cute pink boxes with a see-through cutout showing off my treasures to the world. The seating unlike Sugar Sweet Sunshine is minimal. It's like stepping into a shoebox that belongs to fairies. Magical baker fairies.


Vanilla cake with zesty lemon icing

No comments: